Located southeast of downtown Tallahassee, this road dates back to the 1600's when it linked Spanish missions from here to St. Augustine. There is now no
of the 17th century Franciscan mission or the Indian council house along the road, but its scenic beauty persists to this day. Old St.
was the first highway built in Florida. It was completed in the
1820's and followed an old Indian footpath which had become the "Spanish
Trail" connecting Pensacola to St. Augustine, prior to American settlement.
Map of Old St. Augustine Road